Karyes Pafsanias

Lower Settlement (Rahi) - Community Forest


Lower Settlement (Rahi)

The lower settlement of Karyes, also known as Rahi (mean ridge), took this name because it is situated on a mountain's ridge. It used to be a settlement with autonomous square, which is now the second square of Karyes. At this site there is the Karyes Primary School, the church of Agia Paraskevi and the Spring of Sakali that used to supply with water the lower settlement of the village.




Rahi Square

Situated on a ridge, the Rahi square is the center of Karyes lower settlement and it is the second square of the village. In this site, every year on the 26th of July, a fest takes place honoring Agia Paraskevi (St. Paraskevi). In the square there is a fountain with drinking water, benches with shade for visitors, a cafe and a tavern.






Church of Agia Paraskevi

The beautiful church of Agia Paraskevi, with the amazing spire made of white marble stone, was built in 1600-1620, it has byzantine rhythm and it is situated on the S.E. side of Karyes. According to tradition, the first church was a small temple near a threshing floor at "Sakalis Spring" and the icon of Agia Paraskevi used to "leave" the church and be found in the location that the new temple was built. During the Hellenic revolution, Ibrahim torched the church but luckily only the reredos was burned. The church was restored in 1887 and this new date replaced the old one on the gate's lintel.

In 1931 the "Brotherhood of Arahovites abroad - Ai Karyai" donated money and the church was renovated taking its present form. In 2001 the temple's limestone was removed and the old masonry was revealed. In 2015 the church was painted internally, while in 2017, with the donation of Konstantinos Christopoulos, the roof was repaired. Impressive is its elaborate bell tower made of white marble stone.

The church is located within a grove, that includes also the cemetary of the lower settlement (Rahi). In 1960, with the donation of Athanasios K. Iliopoulos, the site was rebuilt, the walls were constructed and railings were placed around the perimeter. In 2001 the entire courtyard was paved and the statue of the benefactor Athanasios Matalas was preserved and moved to a more central place.

Primary School

The stone build primary school of Karyes has two floors and it was built in 1933 with donation from the Brotherhood of Arahovites - Ai Karyai. It was blown up and partially destroyed by the Nazi's troops, during the "burn of Arahova" in 1944. The school is located in the lower settlement, near the church of Agia Paraskevi, within a grove in which there is also a marble bust of the great benefactor of Karyes, Athanasios Matalas.



Sakali's Spring

Sakali spring was the only water source for the lower settlement (Rahi), until the middle of the past century. It is built during the 18th century with stone, it has two galleries and it is one of the finest samples of similar buildings' architecture.






Karyes Community Forest

The community forest of Karyes is located at the North-East side of Karyes and it is impressive for its size and variety of trees. It has chestnuts, walnuts and beeches, whose seeds was brought from Eastern Romylia (South Bulgaria today) by the consul of Greece and great benefactor of the village Athanasios Matalas.

The forest is being exploited by the local community, mainly through chestnut cultivation, beekeeping and wood supply, always with the collaboration of the Sparti Forestry Office. The visitor or trekker can enjoy the forest taking the road that connects Karyes to Agios Petros Kinourias (with asphalt), the road from Karyes to Zygos (without asphalt) and following many paths such as the European Path E4.