Karyes Pafsanias

Sports Club "O Karyatis"


The Sports Club "O Karyatis" was founded in 1926 and its purpose is "the harmonic growth of physical, moral and spiritual tendencies and properties of the Arahovas' (Karyes') youth".

The Club owns a football field in the site "Pinigoura", visible when someone enters the village from the rural road. In the same site there is a basketball, tennis and volleyball court, with modern standards.


Historic Facts

Founding and early years

The S.C. "Karyatis" was founded in 1926 by G. T. Skiouris, Κ. Ν. Charakas, Ε. G. Kostalas, Κ. Μ. Pitsios, T. G. Stathakis, T. V. Leventakis, Ι. Ν. Charakas, Ι. Κ. Diamantouros and Ι. S. Mahairas, which by then enrolled in middle education schools, and it was officially recognized by the first-degree court of Sparti in 1928.

Its first presence was at the athletic games that took place at Vlachokerasia in 1928 and 1929, in which many inhabitants accompanied the club's athletes by car or riding horses. The athletes at these games distinguished by wining first places at the events of long jump, shot put, javelin, drive, stone throwing and race. In 1929 the club's athletes won in Sparti first places in races of 5km, 1500m jumps and high jump. Also in 1930 and in 1931 it participated in football games with clubs from Sparti and Levetsova (Krokees).

Every Sunday if there weren't any marriages or baptisms at Rahi Square, it was converted as a football field. Then late benefactor G. T. Skiouris dropped the idea of making a football field at Pinigoura, where there was level ground. Indeed in 1929 a fundraising took place and with the gathered amount a small field, owned by Panagiotis Papadogiannis, was purchased at Pinigoura and rearranged as a gymnasium. In 1951, under the S.C. "Karyatis" presidency of Paraskevas G. Koutsogeorgas, membership of Konstantinos Mich. Pitsios, along with payment ($ 518) of the Brotherhood in America and of company LEVENTIS, they purchased part of a neighboring area, owned by Michael Melehes in order to complete the relevant area of the pitch. The final extension, shaping and fencing with stone fence held in 1954 at the expense of the Sports Club great benefactors: Paraskevas P. Leventis, Christos P. Leventis, Andreas S. Trakas and Konstantinos M. Pitsios.

Since then, the activities of the sports club were numerous in sports, culture and social life. Every year during the summer, the club hosts football games, but especially in the 60ies the athletic team used to organize athletic games three times every year.

Improvements in the Sports Center

In 1958, with the expense of G. T. Skiouris, the first changing rooms of the club were built, and in 1981, with the donation of D. T. Kakkaris, they were constructed and their spaces were expanded and now there are athletes' locker rooms for both teams. In 1995 the S.C. "Karyatis", with its annual grant from Skiouris Foundation, donated by the children of Efstratios Kostalas, but also by joining a European program, it also built an open-air sports court for basketball, volleyball and tennis, with modern specifications.

In 2013, the existing changing rooms were renovated and in 2018 the electrification of the changing rooms, the basketball court and the football stadium in front of the stands with the headlight installation were completed. The Karyes Sports Center is now able to offer modern sports conditions to residents and visitors of Karyes.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Football/Soccer Team

The football team of "Karyatis" participated for first time in 1970-72 in an official championship in Lakonia, it stopped but came back in 1983 in the third local division. The next year (1984 -1985) the team became champion of the third local division and for the next three years participated at the second division. Since then the team participates unfailingly in the local championships, giving the chance to local boys to become football players and enjoy sports.